An
interesting choice, over 30 hip hop artists are involved in
the new single, 'California Republic,' released by THE GAME this week. This
week, I chose to review the song, 'death penalty'. Featuring artists, Fabolous,
Eric Bellinger and Slim Thug, this song has some wonderfully modern slants on
electronic music, with layers of vocals and digital sounds that create a sort
of Baroque or traditional Eastern European edge to the backing music. The song
opens with the chorus, and indeed, I can almost visualise Dracula on the organ
as the opening lyrics, 'for not being who you claim, you've been found guilty',
immediately emphasise the darker theme behind the song's title.
By
the time the beat marks the first verse, reference to the underbelly of
California is worked into the lyrics and is highlighted by the off-key notes of
the music. A slow tempo allows the vocals to alternate between accentuated
force, ‘I need God with me in these streets’, and faster paced, ‘In the club
half a pill and half a full clip’. The tempo in verbalising these lyrics I
think is an excellent choice and alternative way of showing the duality of the
artist’s lifestyles; reflective, meditative and also intensely active.
Through
the music and lyrics, death penalty is not only aesthetically delightful, but
also mysterious and quite a musical experiment, drawing on international
musical influences to highlight core themes within the lyrics. This week, THE
GAME’s ‘Death Penalty’ receives four stars from me.

No comments:
Post a Comment