As I was searching for this song, I
stumbled upon results for a Californian ‘Death Penalty’ of a more literal
sense. When I finally found our song; Death
Penalty by The Game, I felt like I was strapped to an electric chair: An initial
sense of anticipation, quickly followed by an impending doom that comes
crashing down into a jumbled mess of rap verses that hold little musical
ingenuity. The opening seconds promise us the world, the dance synth taking
precedence here and constructing an aura of intrigue. But then the rap verses
start, and it was all downhill from here.
I thought we left the ‘thugs for life’ era
of hip-hop back in the 90’s, but apparently ‘The Game’ didn’t get the memo. It’s
all about guns, drugs and prison; his AK47 ‘riding shotty’ as he cruises the ‘mean
streets’. And forgive me for being insensitive, but hasn’t the whole ‘look
where I came from’ angle been done to death by both rappers and now Hollywood,
who transformed it into feature length films like Get Rich or Die Trying and Notorious?
Lyrically, the song lacks depth; but that’s to be expected from a rap
collaboration album. The slower tempo could have been incredibly effective, the
deep, reverberating bass driving the songs tempo. But it is coupled by some seriously
uninspired vocals, and the constant staccato chime of a hit hat hardly inspires
excitement.
I give this a 1½ out of 5.
No comments:
Post a Comment