Wednesday, 25 April 2012

With all the political debate on the state of Australia's natural resources being exported to maintain a global, insatiable need for materials (much like the sort I am typing this review on), there can be no doubt that in the music world, the influence of metal is thriving.

System of a Down, the Californian Rock band headlining the metal genre since 1994, released their first single, 'BYOB' (Bring your own bombs), in response to America's facical participation in the Iraqi War. The song won the 'Best Hard Rock' category in the 2006 Grammy Awards, and indeed, I agree this politically charged, stirring sounding music is deserving of all its enthusiastic reception into the music world.
Politically motivated, BYOB emphasises the superficial, unsustainable values operating in modern social atmospheres. Indeed, the chorus highlights the very core messages portrayed through the lyrics; condemning America's participation in warfare as removed from reality, part of the condensed, safe world of exclusive dance floors teeming with celebrity gangsters and spoilt 'biatches'.
I found the music stirring, the lyrics catchy, and the theme intelligent. In an industry intent on pumping out 3 minute hits that really generate as much awe an realising you've forgotten cheese and crackers on your annual comic theme picnic outing (god forbid!), System of A Down's BYOB keeps the light of talent alive and sparkling, as steady as a rock (or dare I say, metal?). This week, BYOB receives 4 out of 5 stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment