Sunday, 22 April 2012

Avicii ft. David Guetta: SUNSHINE



Things have certainly taken an interesting turn this week; we find ourselves wrenched from the blocks of California from last week's hip hop genre, whirled through the recording studio and right onto the club dance floor. This week, things took a turn for the worse in my opinion, the droning bass and repetitive beats were, really, no more than an excuse to be lulled (involuntarily) into a sense that after a never ending buildup of sound layers, some explosive, original manifestation of music would compel me to my feet and twirl around the dance floor. I never left my seat. 
 For a song nominated in 2012 for the Grammy Award's 'Best Dancing' theme, it is no wonder why the status remained short of winner. 
To their credit, the beginning of the song does hold promise. Layers are precariously introduced into every loop of the song until, building tension that invariably overrides boredom of the monotonous do do do do do that continues throughout the entire piece. This buildup pauses, as a millitary-esque voice over demands the air to be abused by throwing up our arms, a command, I feel to be lacking any justification, as my arms were draped casually on the table with absolutely zero resolution to be lifted except perhaps to continue with my drink (straight whiskey by then). 
You see, I have nothing against club music; I enjoy it. However, relying on the state of one's mind to be completely inebriated before any real musical (if we can call it that) appreciation can be gained, then to my mind it is not a successful piece. Perhaps Sunshine could not compete with the artist's earlier, delightful work, however, what ever the reason for, or against, producing sounds that a child could sing into a microphone, I am sorely disappointed with the quality of music this week, and give Sunshine 1 star.

No comments:

Post a Comment